The Wenford Dries were built in the early part of the 20th century (probably post-1907) by the Stannon China Clay Company, to serve the china clay pit at Stannon on Bodmin Moor some 7.2km to the north east.
The liquid china clay slurry was carried in a pipeline from the pit to the settling tanks behind the dries.
The choice of site was heavily influenced by the presence of an existing railway line leading from Wenfordbridge which was originally constructed to carry granite from the nearby De Lank quarries. in 1919 the Stannon China Clay Company was acquired by English China Clays – at this time the largest china clay producer in Cornwall.
The Wenford Dries closed in 2002. Nowadays most of the building is just an empty shell which provides a nice playground for grafitti artists.
Check out full sets of pictures here