A look inside the former South Efford House, Once a prominant house in the area eventually turning into a carehome
The exact date when South Efford House was built is unknown although 1760 is inscribed on the Victorian addition to the front of the house in the photograph below. There was a very much older cottage for the ferryman on the original site, but how long that had been there is not known either.
The house was set in its own grounds, and sheep are grazing right up to the front of it.
South Efford House and estate was owned at the beginning of the 1770’s by a man called Richard Hobbs, but whether he was the person who built it or not, or how long he had owned it is uncertain. At the time of his will drawn up just months before his death he wasn’t living in the house, renting it instead to a George Steer.
After Richard’s death in 1772 the estate passed on to his son, another Richard, and then on through a combination of his sisters and nephews in a complicated line of inheritance set out by the terms of his will, which eventually resulted in the sale of the property to Christopher Savery in 1787, and a case before the Courts of Chancery in 1828.
Check out full sets of pictures here