Originally called ‘Colyton for Seaton’ and opened on 18th July 1860, then renamed Colyton Junction with the opening of the Seaton and Beer Railway (an undertaking that never had any intention of building on to Beer) on 16th March 1868, this station was finally named Seaton Junction from July 1869.
That Beer was mentioned in the company name reflected an undertaking to build a road bridge across the River Axe at Seaton. The S&B originally intended to use the L&SWR’s down line for their terminating branch trains, but when the new line was first inspected prior to opening, Colonel Yolland, the inspecting officer, objected to the necessity when going in or out of the station of reversing trains with passengers aboard for some 200 yards.
He objected to quite a few other things, too! The Chairman of the S&B gave an undertaking (subsequently signed on 2nd March 1868) that a branch platform would be built within six months and, the other matters having been put right or in the process of being put right, the new line passed its second inspection on 19th February 1868.
Most branch line trains terminated at the junction station, though some did run through to Exeter and there were, of course, through coaches to and from Waterloo attached to and detached from the branch train. There were also once daily through services to Axminster and to Waterloo and, for a while, Great Western excursion traffic arriving via Chard.