The club at Plymouth, which replaced a temporary hutted club opened in March 1945, incorporated a restaurant, tavern and cocktail bar, dance hall, reading and writing room, lounge, games room, and conference room, in addition to hostel accommodation.
Flats were also provided on the site for the Club Manager and Manageress. Joseph had to work within several constraints in designing the building, making allowances for unstable cellars and rubble from blitzed buildings, as well as a considerable ground fall from west to east and from south to north.
The requirement that the building is particularly maintenance-efficient influenced Joseph’s choice of materials: aluminum Plymax was used on doors and light switches, hardwood veneers were employed, and Macula wood floors laid in many of the rooms, with Rexine used in areas of particularly heavy use.
The building remained in use as a forces club – known latterly as the Plymouth Hoe Services Club – until 1969. From 1980 to 2007 it was the Plymouth School of Architecture.