Hope Cove Bunker

“Still to this day we cannot believe that we were one of the lucky few to have access inside hope cove Bunker

finding that we could get access via the air shaft (covered up now)

Located in a commanding position, high above the Salcombe estuary is one of the finest examples in existence of a post-Second World War bunker,

built-in secret by transporting tonnes of concrete and materials by heavy trucks through the sleepy lanes of Higher Soar.

local residents only found out by a report of a late-night poacher!

The Hope Cove Bunker’s fully kitted out and ready for action by 1954 and all set to be connected to a massive, newly constructed Type 80 radar, located close by.

Due to the rapid advancement of radar technology, however, the radar never became operational. 

The building was active between January 1956 and September 1957, after which it briefly became the RAF Fighter Control School.

In 1958, following the departure of the RAF, the bunker is transferring to The Home Office for conversion into a Regional Seat of Government

that would control the South West of England in the event of a nuclear war.

The bunker’s not large enough to house a full complement of staff, so the old wartime Happidrome is refurbish

and used for additional accommodation.

A new generator room was built at this time which is still on-site and operational. 

The bunker closed its doors and was sold to private purchasers in the 1990s

who set about maintaining the bunker which, as at the present day, is in surprisingly good standard,

considering its age and construction methods available in the 1950s.

..

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2020 Urbanexboi

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*