“A few years back we visited Fremington camp (a few months before it was demolished) we spent hours here looking around finding the old dorms and social club”
“History of Fremington Army Camp
Fremington Army Camp was a military camp in the village of Fremington, Devon, England, which was used as a base to train the United States Army Air Corps. It was originally located there to be within easy marching distance from the railway station at the Quay.
The site was used by the US Army’s 313th Station Hospital for post-D-Day rehabilitation, with room for 2,000 patients. It started receiving casualties on 20 July 1944. From 1946 it was home to the School of Combined Operations. It complemented the Royal Marines and Royal Air Force presence at Royal Marines Base Chivenor, situated a mile (2 km) northwards on the opposite bank of the River Taw, and 11 (Amphibious Trials and Training) Squadron, 1 Assault Group Royal Marines at Arromanches Camp, Instow, 2.0 miles (3.2 km) to the west.
In 2009 the camp was closed due to its severely outdated nature, and the opportunity to re-develop the land which has now taken place and new homes now sit where this site once was