“Arriving at Denbigh Asylum we had to remain very cautious due to the hazardous conditions created by arsonists.
Walking around here made us wish that we had snuck off when we visited here for Most Haunted Live and captured the true beauty of the former hospital”
History of Denbigh Asylum
Designed by architect Thomas Fulljames, the building started in 1844 and completed in 1848.
Once a hospital for up to 200 people with psychiatric illness, by the early 1900s it housed 1537 patients (approx).
On 25 – 31 October 2008, the satellite and cable channel Living TV presented a week of live broadcasts from the by then derelict North Wales Hospital under the title The Village of the Damned as part of the paranormal series Most Haunted.
On 22 November 2008, during work to renovate the building site and convert it to apartments and residential properties, the building caught fire.
it is later confirmed that the main hall of the hospital was destroyed.
Currently, on the buildings at risk register, the 2006 planning permission has lapsed.
In 2013, Denbighshire Council voted to press ahead with a compulsory purchase order on the building.
A three-week Public Inquiry on the challenge to the CPO by the owner completed on 20 March 2015.