Plymouth Civic Centre

As part of the plans to rebuild the city, Plymouth Civic Centre designed by city architect Hector Stirling.

Although his design is approved in 1957, the architects Jellicoe, Ballantyne & Colleridge are given authority to make amendments to his design.

As a result, some aspects of the Plymouth Civic centre changed, but Stirling’s general layout and concept remain.

​In January 1958, work commenced by Messrs Richard Costain Ltd.

In August that year, Messrs Staverton Builders Ltd began the foundation and substructure work. 

The construction of the adjoining Council House began in November 1959 by Messrs Humphreys Ltd.

Although financial problems raise concern over whether the tower building would be finished, the Civic Centre was complete in 1962.

On 26 July 1962, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II officially opened the building.

The Civic Centre became Plymouth’s main administrative centre.

 By the 21st century, Plymouth City Council felt the building was becoming too expensive to maintain and inadequate for their needs.

..

Digiprove sealCopyright protected by Digiprove © 2020 Urbanexboi

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*