“While trying to Locate the secret Bunker under Corsham we discovered Royal Arthur a small camp that is in really bad shape”
The establishment was recommissioned on 2 January 1947 in Westwells Road, Corsham as a leadership training establishment, and one of several assessment camps where new recruits were assessed, kitted out, and sent to their various depots.
The last recruits arrived on 31 October 1949 and on 15 March 1950 it ceased to be used for training National Service inductees and concentrated on leadership training of Petty Officers at the instigation of Lord Louis Mountbatten. The name was then transferred to the recently paid off Camp Kingsmoor on 16 March 1950. The camp continued in service until the last trainees left on 11 December 1992 and personnel finally left on 5 March 1993.
The site has suffered heavy vandalism since its abandonment and is now undergoing demolition for the building of a retirement village.